November 20, 2004

Application Firewalls Vendors Challenge, Part 2

After my previous blog post I received an email from one of the firms that I had described based on reading several articles as developing this new application Firewall test criteria. The message pointed out that there were two factual errors in my previous post.

The claimed first error was that this group has posted their criteria. I checked the InfoWorld article that I had based much of my entry on and there was no pointer to the criteria file there. I also looked at articles on the topic that appeared in both eWeek and SC Magazine and could not find any reference to where I might find the criteria in those articles either.

The second claimed error was that these vendors don't call themselves a consortium. I took a quick look at the InfoWorld article and it said:
"At the Computer Security Institute’s Annual Security Conference, F5 Networks, Imperva, NetContinuum, and Teros announced the Application Security Consortium, saying the group wanted to establish minimum standards for application security software through independent testing."
If you're not calling yourself a consortium I'm sorry but it would seem InfoWorld got it wrong.

In was provided with a link to the proposed criteria document. The criteria that the group has published was reported to be
"a baseline standard for application security firewalls", again according to reporting in InfoWorld. The actual title of the document is "Web Application Security Minimum Protection Criteria". The document has no author, no date, and no copyright mark and I couldn't find a link to it from anywhere else on ICSA Labs site. Given the lack of any of this info I chose not to link this entry to that document.

My suggestion is that if you want to stop application layer attacks you need to develop a good security policy that can be implemented on your network that meets your objectives given a reasonable risk of operation. There is no silver bullet.

No comments: